Sunday, July 27, 2008

Back in Maputo

Maputo is much as I remember it....the best place to buy things is still from the guys on the street, public transport (minibuses called chapas) is still overcrowded with people, animals, groceries, etc., people are still surprised when I speak to them in Portuguese, and the people are still warm, friendly, and almost always laughing or smiling.

I am definitely gaining a new perspective on life in Mozambique....the non Peace Corps perspective, that is. I am living in an apartment (in the small ex-pat world of Maputo I met two other ex-Peace Corps girls who are living in a three bedroom apartment and were in need of a third roommate....I moved in last week) with running water, cable tv, internet, an indoor kitchen, and in indoor bathroom with a hot shower. I’ve also been meeting lots of other foreigners who are living and working here – many of them have cars, they go out to eat and drink at all the restaurants that I couldn’t afford when I was in the Peace Corps, and they all know each other (and each other’s business). I am still trying to figure out where in this network I am going to or want to fit in and/or spend my time. More thoughts on this will definitely be coming.....

No comments: