Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Office

Some Basic Details
* Number of people who work in the ICAP Maputo office: ~50
* Countries represented: Mozambique, Brazil, U.S.A., Italy
* Normal work hours: 8-6 with a two hour break for lunch during which everyone goes home
* Normal work hours (in the ICAP office) for my boss: 2-7 (she spends the first half of the day at the Ministry of Health; unfortunately, sometimes her extended evening hours become my extended evening hours)
* Amount of time I spend per day waiting for my internet to come back so I can email/communicate with my boss/do research/use free online translation/chat with my friends around the world: 1 hour
* Percentage of documents that I am able to successfully download on the first try: 50%
* Amount of time I spend per day trying to download stuff for work: 1 hour

And now for a little story....

The Conference Call
* Amount of time my boss and I spent on Monday waiting for everyone to be successfully connected to an international conference call: 1 hour 15 minutes
* Total duration of said conference call (including wait time): 2 hours 40 minutes
* Number of participants on the call: 14
* Percentage of participants who were dropped at some point during the call: 100%
* Percentage of participants who were dropped at least twice during the call: 100%
* Number of times my boss and I were dropped from the call: 3
* Number of languages being spoken during said conference call: 1 (English)
* Number of dialects/accents of said language being used during said conference call: 6 (American, Brazilian, Tanzanian, Kenyan, Nigerian, Rwandan)
* Percentage of call I could understand on our speaker phone: ~50%

No comments: